Creamy Pesto Chicken Salad with Greens
For a healthy variation on creamy chicken salad, we’ve replaced half the mayonnaise with basil pesto. Serve over greens or make it into a sandwich for a healthy lunch.
Get moving with these creative desk moves by WH&F trainer Nichelle Laus before the sedentary fallouts kick in.
BICEPS CURL – grab a paperweight, a small, filled water bottle, a stapler, or your handbag handle in your hand. While seated or standing, take the object in one hand with your palm facing upwards. Starting with your arms straight at your side, bend the elbow and curl the arm up towards your chest, hold, then lower back down. Repeat.
CHEST CHAIR PUSH-UP – get into a push-up position and place hands on edge of sturdy chair, slightly wider than shoulder-width apart. This is your starting position. Bend arms and lower body until your chest reaches the edge of the chair. Push body up to the starting position, and repeat. Variation: Knees can remain on the ground throughout the exercise to make it easier.
BACK REVERSE FLYE
– grab two paperweights, cans, or small, filled bottles of water. Sit on a chair with your knees bent at 90 degrees and your feet flat on the floor. Bend forward slightly, look down at the floor and keep your back straight. This is your starting position.
With palms facing each other, extend arms out to the side, squeezing the shoulder blades, hold, and return to the starting position.
TRICEPS CHAIR DIP –
Face away from the chair. Place your hands behind you on the edge of the seat, shoulder-width apart. With your hands securely in place, step a foot or two away, and straighten your legs and keep heels in contact with the floor. Straighten your arms so that your body is lifted. This is your starting position.
Bend your elbows and lower yourself until your elbows are 90 degrees, hold, and re-straighten back to the starting position. Repeat.
LEGS AND BUTT BODYWEIGHT SQUAT – stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Lower your body as far as you can by pushing your hips back and bending your knees until your thighs are parallel to the floor. Pause, stand back up, and repeat.
HAMSTRINGS STANDING LEG CURL – Stand behind your chair and hold on to it for support. Kick one foot back at a time, allowing your heel to almost touch the back of your thigh. Lower your foot back down and repeat.
Tip/Variation: You can add some resistance by looping your handbag onto your ankle.
Extra cardio tip: “To make the most of your limited hours, take the stairs instead of the lift. Take two at a time for extra burn.”
For more check out this video of desk yoga, for stretches and relaxation tips.
WIN 1 of 3 AMAZONIA Protein Packs to fuel your workouts, by sharing your #RawFitspo selfie.
How to win
Stay tuned for callouts on our official Facebook page and Instagram for monthly call outs. Get your game faces on!
• Follow @whandfmag
• Follow @amazoniaco
• Post your selfie, #RawFitspo and tag @whandfmag
The three most creative entries will win.
Terms & Conditions for RawFitspo Competition
1. Entry is open to all residents of Australia aged 13 years and over except employees of the promoter and their immediate families and agencies associated with this promotion
2. The promoter shall not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever that is suffered (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) or for any personal injury or suffering sustained in connection with any of the prizes offered except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law.
3. All entries become the property of the promoter.
4. The promoter accepts no responsibility for late, lost or misdirected mail or for any prizes damaged in transit.
5. The promoter is Blitz Publications & Multi Media Group Pty Ltd, 1 Miles St, Mulgrave, Victoria 3170.
6. To enter the competition, entrants must post their ‘gym selfie’ photo on their own Instagram account, tagging @whandfmag and using the hashtag #RawFitspo. Users must be ‘following’ the Amazonia (@amazoniaco) and WH&F (@whandfmag) Instagram accounts to be eligible, and have their Instagram profiles set to ‘public’ view. Entrants must email the original photo to firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. The competition will be judged by a panel appointed by the Promoters, and the three most creative selfies each month will win one of three prize packs.
8. The total prize value over six issues is $1439.10, with 18 to be won. Each pack is valued at $79.95. Each Amozonia Protein pack contains one ‘Raw Workout’ pre-workout supplement and one ‘Raw Protein Isolate’ protein powder.
9. Winners will be notified on the day after the magazine goes on sale via email.
10. Start Date of Competition: 2nd March 2016 at 12 noon (EST)
11. End Date of Competition: 16th August 2016 at 12 noon (EST)
12. Date, time and place drawn: Prize drawn the day after magazine sale date at 12 noon (EST) at 1 Miles Street, MULGRAVE VIC 3170.
13. If the prize remains unclaimed after three months of the first draw, then a replacement winner will be drawn.
14. This is game of skill and chance plays no part in determining the winner.
15. Prizes are non-transferable or exchangeable and cannot be taken as cash.
16. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondences will be entered into.
17. By entering this competition, you consent to Blitz Publications & Multi Media Group Pty Ltd giving your mailing address to product suppliers in the event that you are a winner for the purpose of delivering your prize. Your address will not be used by Blitz Publications & Multi Media Group Pty Ltd or the supplier for any other purpose.
13. Should you be selected as a winner of this competition, you acknowledge and agree that no liability attaches to Blitz Publications & Multi Media Group Pty Ltd for any damage to, fault with or issue arising out of the product or prize, either during transit to you, or upon its receipt by you or at any stage thereafter. Blitz Publications & Multimedia Group Pty Ltd will not be responsible for this replacement of the product or prize if any issues arise.
Read more …
Looking for healthy snack ideas? Try these easy snacks by dietitian Sally-Anne Livock.
• 1 piece of fruit such as a banana or an apple.
• 15 unsalted, raw nuts
• 200 g tub low-fat natural yoghurt with frozen berries
• 4 apricot halves and 4 almonds
• punnet of strawberries
• 250ml skinny latte
• Homemade smoothie with low-fat milk, yoghurt and frozen berries
• 1 cup air-popped popcorn
• 175g tub of Yoplait Forme yoghurt
• 1 John West 61g Tuna to Go Lemon & Cracked Pepper
• 10 Sakata crackers with salsa
• Vegie sticks (carrot, celery, capsicum, snow peas, asparagus, cauliflower) with salsa
• Small muesli bar (420 kJ approx.)
• 2 Ryvita or corn thins with slice of low-fat cheese and tomato
• 40 g mini tub light Philli with carrot and celery sticks
For more healthy recipes ideas and healthy eating tips, check out our nutrition section.
Read more …